Niko is a Calgary Canada based independent international oil and gas Company with operations in India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Trinidad, Madagascar and Pakistan. The Company is one of the fastest growing companies in the industry with a market capitalization of over $5 billion trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol NKO. Niko is a member of the S&P/TSX Composite Index and the S&P/TSX Capped Energy Index.
Founded in 1987, the Company’s first six years of operation were confined to the Western Canadian Basin where the Company drilled and participated in wells in Alberta and southern Saskatchewan. In 1993, Niko made the decision to focus on international opportunities, primarily due to the president’s vast overseas experience, starting with India where the Company has over time become a major participant in the Indian oil and gas sector. The first exploitation opportunity captured was the Hazira Gas Field near Surat in the southern portion of Gujarat State, shaping the overall business strategy of focusing on high-impact plays and providing the foundation that enabled Niko to expand its portfolio of international assets.
Over the ensuing years Niko continued to grow internationally both within India and elsewhere. Most notably, in 2000 Niko secured a 10% interest in the D6 Block located offshore on the east coast in India where Niko and its partner, Reliance Industries Ltd., have conducted successful exploration programs that resulted in the largest gas discovery in the world for the year 2002 with initial reserves of gas in place estimated to exceed 13 trillion cubic feet. In 2006 oil was discovered in the D6 Block with oil production commencing in September 2008.
Today Niko is one of the largest exploration acreage holders in both Indonesia and Trinidad, has interests in 33 exploration blocks covering over 37 million acres (23 million net acres) in 7 countries and has production in India and Bangladesh.
- September 1994 – Hazira gas field acquired (India)
- July 1995 – Hazira gas production commenced (India)
- April 2000 – D6 and NEC Blocks awarded (India)
- October 2002 – D6 gas discovery (India)
- March 2003 - Surat gas production commenced (India)
- June 2004 – 3 gas discoveries in NEC 25 (India)
- July 2005 – D4 Block awarded (India)
- June 2006 – D6 deepwater oil discovery (India)
- December 2006 – D6 field development plan secured (India)
- March 2008 – 4 Blocks awarded (Pakistan)
- May 2008 – Qara Dagh Block awarded (Kurdistan)
- September 2008 – D6 oil production commenced (India)
- October 2008 – Grand Prix Block secured (Madagascar)
- November 2008 – 4 new blocks awarded (Indonesia)
- April 2009 – D6 gas production commenced (India)
- May 2009 – 1 new block awarded (Indonesia)
- July 2009 – Block 2ab awarded (Trinidad)
- November 2009 – 4 new blocks awarded (Indonesia)
- December 2009 – acquisition of Black Gold (3 new Indonesia Blocks)
- March 2010 – acquisition of Voyager Energy (4 Trinidad Blocks)
- May 2010 – 4 new blocks awarded (Indonesia)